Position Type: Full-time with benefits
Expected Start Date: April 1, 2023
Reports to: Director of Development and Communications (DDC)
Note: This is a remote position based in Maryland, open to MD residents or candidates willing to frequently travel.
About Baltimore Abortion Fund
The Baltimore Abortion Fund (BAF), founded in 2014, is a nonprofit organization that provides assistance to individuals who live in or travel to Maryland for abortion care. BAF is part of the National Network for Abortion Funds, which includes over 70 independently operated funds across the United States supporting the reproductive health decisions of their callers. BAF operates a confidential helpline and makes financial commitments to fill the gap between what callers can afford and the full cost of their procedures, connects callers to practical support resources, and provides information on how to access abortion care. Using an intersectional reproductive justice lens, BAF works to dismantle white supremacy by removing systemic barriers people face when accessing abortion care. BAF also actively works to reduce abortion stigma within Maryland and participates in the broader conversations shaping local and state-wide policy affecting our callers. Learn more about our impact here.
The Development Coordinator will collaborate with the Director of Development and Communications to implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy grounded in BAF’s values and community-centric fundraising practices. The Coordinator will provide administrative support, manage day-to-day development processes, and help diversify the organization’s funding streams to promote long-term financial stability.
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to reproductive justice, an understanding of the trauma endured by some of our clients, including issues pertaining to gender, race, poverty, and class, and will be able to work effectively in a diverse and progressive environment. They will share BAF’s core belief in the value and importance of access to a full spectrum of reproductive health options and operate with a high degree of confidentiality and respect for our clients.
- Tracks and facilitates a major gift identification and moves management process, including prospect research, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Assists with the creation and implementation of fundraising appeals for individual donors: proofreading and printing materials; and managing mailing lists; and collaboratively creating development-specific direct mail, email, and social media copy.
- Works alongside staff, board members and volunteers on our annual peer-to-peer fundraising campaign, Fund-a-Thon.
- Ensures streamlined donor engagement by leading the gift acknowledgement process, including drafting, and mailing of donor acknowledgement letters, donor reports, tribute packets, pledge reminders and other periodic donor-centric reporting.
- Works as part of the development team to implement and manage a comprehensive donor stewardship plan – connecting with supporters through phone calls, written notes, and online correspondence.
- Provide administrative support for donors and supporters, answering questions associated with giving, event planning, and our work.
- Ensures the accuracy and completeness of records in the Little Green Light donor database through data entry, clean-up, and ongoing maintenance.
- Tracks and maintains records of appeals, event attendance, contact information, and relationship history.
- Generates reports and updates fundraising records in the donor database, including preparing reports for relevant internal stakeholders.
- Monitor and update institutional funding calendar, planning ahead and ensuring adherence to deadlines for grant applications and reports.
- Research institutional funders and prepare materials for grant application and reports.
- Review guidelines for all grant proposals and reports to make sure all submissions are accurately formatted and include all required information, including budgets and supporting materials
- Provides administrative and logistical support for fundraising and community events throughout the year.
The Development Coordinator will demonstrate success through their proficiency in these key competencies:
Mission & Values Alignment:
- You bring a strong commitment to abortion access and full reproductive healthcare for all. You will have an understanding and appreciation of the barriers to reproductive health and a passion for removing those barriers.
- You are committed to an intersectional framework that includes, but is not limited to gender, economic, and racial justice.
- You understand the values of Reproductive Justice and are comfortable implementing them in day to day operations.
Strong Collaborator and Relationship Builder:
- You are people-centered and you build relationships. You facilitate communication that fosters trust, values difference, and furthers BAF’s impact
Project Coordination and Administrative Experience:
- You have at least two years of administrative experience working in a nonprofit, campaign, political organization, or similar work environment.
- You bring prior experience managing relationships, projects, and yourself to achieve results for BAF clients that drive organizational impact.
- You demonstrate self-awareness, understand the perspectives of others, and approach interpersonal relationships with empathy.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback and are committed to practicing this regularly.
- Basic computer skills including reliable access to the internet and familiarity with Google Suite, and open to learning new technologies and software as needed.
- You have experience in donor relations, customer service, database management, and/or development CRMs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Benefits and Salary
The salary for this position is $52,000, plus robust health and leave benefits.
How to Apply
You may submit a traditional resume and cover letter, a video application, or any other form of an application that you believe highlights your qualifications and interests. Candidates are encouraged to apply even without meeting 100% of the role requirements.
January 15, 2023 is the deadline for priority consideration, and the final application deadline is January 31, 2023. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Justice
As an organization working in solidarity with the reproductive justice movement, BAF is committed to fostering the leadership and elevating the voices of women, young people, people of color, Native people, immigrant and refugees, low-income people, LGBQ+, and transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary people, people who have had abortions, people with disabilities, young parents, people who were formerly imprisoned, people who have received funding for abortions, and people living in the many intersections of these experiences. We encourage people from these communities to apply.