Position Type: Fulltime with benefits
Expected Start Date: 1.02.2023
Reports to: Director of Resource Coordination
Note: Maryland residency with regular access to a vehicle is preferred.
ABOUT BALTIMORE ABORTION FUND
The Baltimore Abortion Fund (BAF), founded in 2014, is a nonprofit organization that provides assistance to individuals who live in or travel to Maryland for abortion care. BAF is part of the National Network for Abortion Funds, which includes over 70 independently operated funds across the United States supporting the reproductive health decisions of their callers. BAF operates a confidential helpline and makes financial commitments to fill the gap between what callers can afford and the full cost of their procedures, connects callers to practical support resources, and provides information on how to access abortion care. Using an intersectional reproductive justice lens, BAF works to dismantle white supremacy by removing systemic barriers people face when accessing abortion care. BAF also actively works to reduce abortion stigma within Maryland and participates in the broader conversations shaping local and state-wide policy affecting our callers. Learn more about our impact here.
BAF seeks a Client Engagement Manager (CEM) to support the Resource Coordination Team.
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to reproductive justice, an understanding of the trauma endured by our clients, including issues pertaining to gender, race, poverty, and class, and will be able to work effectively in a diverse and progressive environment. They will share BAF’s core belief in the value and importance of access to a full spectrum of reproductive health options and operate with a high degree of confidentiality and respect for our clients.
Program Management (60%)
- Implement, refine, and develop systems, policies, and procedures to ensure a positive client experience.
- Monitor helpline volume; maintain clear, organized, and intentional data collection processes and use data strategically to inform BAF’s service delivery priorities.
- Manage a client survey to assess client experience and to provide feedback and learnings for the team to improve practices.
- Build relationships and maintain active lines of communication as an inter-fund contact, clinic liaison, and BAF representative.
- Develop and maintain a volunteer management strategy that recruits, develops, and engages volunteers and ensures role clarity.
- Provide technical support and ongoing training to increase referrals, collaboration, and continued education for warmline case managers.
- Lead implementation of any changes to the case management structure and design. Continually evaluate the overall effectiveness of case management processes and systems, identifying and implementing improvements as necessary.
- Actively participate in required convenings, summits, retreats, and staff meetings, and BAF events.
- Participate in required virtual staff communications.
Program Delivery (40%)
- Manage a caseload of clients and provide compassionate and trauma-informed support through intake, case management, and follow-up.
- Make financial commitments to BAF clients based on internal budget and client needs.
- Send accurate financial commitments to clinics in a timely manner, connect with other funds and clinics to ensure external support.
- Support the BAF Operations Manager in troubleshooting communication, billing, and other issues.
- Maintain accurate clinic contacts, funding information, and resource listings.
- Assist with any other supportive services and referrals that the client may need at that time.
Build Power & Scale Up
In this role, it will be necessary to collaborate with your team members in order to create an organization that is built on shared values. This will include being active in a shared-power system that clearly defines areas of collaboration vs. autonomy for all staff roles and incorporates relevant perspectives into decision-making. You will provide and receive ongoing mentorship, and take an active role in building justice-based and equitable policies and procedures that dismantle systems, structures, and processes that are oppressive. You will collaboratively build an organizational culture that intentionally removes barriers that prevent staff members from showing up as their preferred selves at work.
BAF is at an exciting inflection point as it is assembling a team of full-time staff. This means that the ideal candidate is open to a role that continues to evolve and grow and recognizes that the scale and scope of the work may change as BAF scales. Consequently, there will be special projects and initiatives that will require the leadership and support of the Client Engagement Manager. The ideal candidate would be someone who brings their own passion to this work and is willing to be flexible with organizational growth.
The Client Engagement Manager will demonstrate success through their proficiency in these key competencies:
Mission & Values Alignment:
- You bring a strong commitment to abortion access and full reproductive healthcare for all. You will have an understanding and appreciation of the barriers to reproductive health and a passion for removing those barriers.
- You are committed to an intersectional framework that includes, but is not limited to gender, economic, and racial justice.
- You understand the values of Reproductive Justice and are comfortable implementing them in day to day operations.
Strong Collaborator and Relationship Builder:
- You are people-centered and you build relationships. You facilitate communication that fosters trust, values difference, and furthers BAF’s impact
Leadership and Managing for Results
- You are self-motivated, detail-oriented, resourceful, creative, and able to work without significant day-to-day supervision.
- You bring prior experience managing relationships, projects, and yourself to achieve results for BAF clients that drive organizational impact.
- You possess strong project management skills, including coordinating multiple projects and comfort in saying “no” in order to prioritize your well-being and focus on efforts needing the most attention.
- You demonstrate self-awareness, understand the perspectives of others, and approach interpersonal relationships with empathy.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback and are committed to practicing this regularly.
- Comfort speaking on the phone on a daily basis.
- Basic computer skills including reliable access to the internet and familiarity with Google Suite, and open to learning new technologies and software as needed.
- One year of experience managing a program or a team
- Live in MD with regular access to a vehicle
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
BENEFITS AND SALARY
The starting salary for this position is $65,000, plus robust health and leave benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
You may submit a traditional resume and cover letter, a video application, or any other form of an application that you believe highlights your qualifications and interests. Candidates are encouraged to apply even without meeting 100% of the role requirement.
September 19, 2022 is the deadline for priority consideration. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities.
AN EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER WITH A COMMITMENT TO JUSTICE
As an organization working in solidarity with the reproductive justice movement, BAF is committed to fostering the leadership and elevating the voices of women, young people, people of color, Native people, immigrant and refugees, low-income people, LGBQ+, and transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary people, people who have had abortions, people with disabilities, young parents, people who were formerly imprisoned, people who have received funding for abortions, and people living in the many intersections of these experiences. We encourage people from these communities to apply.